Visit the Dousman Chamber
of Commerce Website

Dousman Chamber Logo

Quick Links
Chronology
Dousman History
Pictorial
Ottawa History
Contact Us

 

 

Chronological History

1836

 

First wagon road from Milwaukee to Madison, going through Jefferson, was surveyed.

1837

 

Talbot Chambers Dousman built a log cabin and made first claim in the Town of Ottawa.

 

 

Parents of Abram G. Hardell settled in Town of Summit on 500 acre farm.

1838

 

T.C. Dousman built first frame barn in Waukesha County on 400 acre farm known as "Ingleside".

1840

 

Elisha W. Edgerton received land grant for farm on Hwy I8.

1849

 

Bark River School District organized.

1850

 

Siloam Chapel organized.

1861

 

First Presbyterian. Church of Ottawa organized.

1870

 

St. Mary's Episcopal Church receives deed to land on corner of Hwy s 18 and 67.

 

 

George Washington Van Brunt purchases Edgerton farm on highway 18.

1873

 

Van Brunt Mansion constructed.      

1881

 

Chicago and Northwestern Railway Co. complete railroad through the area.

 

 

Griffith Thomas built a store and became the first merchant and first postmaster.

 

 

The post office was moved from Utica to Dousman.

1882

 

First residence in Village of Dousman was built by Frank Martin. Corner of Hwys D & Z.

 

 

A Mr. Steinica built the first hotel, it burned down within two years.

 

 

First Dousman Cornet Band built a Music Hall.

 

 

O.H. Neff and G.A. Groop moved their respective businesses, a blacksmith shop and a wagon shop from Utica to Dousman.

1883

 

Abram G. Hardell built the elevator and started a lumber yard.

 

 

William Reid built a building which housed a print shop and a dry goods store run by Krueger Bros.

 

 

Herman Claus built and operated a harness shop

1886

 

G.A. Rogers established the "Dousman Leader".

1887

 

Union Emmanuel Church was built on land purchased from A.H. Gifford for $50.00.

 

 

St. Bruno's Catholic Church was constructed.

 

 

Griffith Thomas sells store to William Hunter and Henry Weiner.

1888

 

President Grover Cleveland made a whistle-stop in Dousman.

1890

 

Residents organized a public school for Dousman.

 

 

Bullfrog Station settlement has 150 residents.

1891

 

Land purchased from E.L.Gifford to build a school house.

1892

 

Mundschau brothers, John, Lawrence and Nick take charge of Griffith Thomas store.

 

 

L.G. Bischel opens first tavern in Dousman.

1893

 

Mary Moody was the first teacher at the Dousman school, earning $1.50 a day.

1896

 

L. G. Bischel builds hotel

1899

 

Abram G. Hardell moved to the Village of Dousman.

1902

 

Dousan Volunteer Fire Department was established. . Nick Mundschau was president  and A.C. Longley was Chief.

 

 

Wisconsin Home and Farm School founded. (Lad Lake)

1905

 

Willard A. Van Brunt estate deeds 319 acre farm to the Wisconsin Consistory.            .

 

 

Northwestern Railroad spur, "Tibbey Line", runs to marl plant south of the Village.      :

1906

 

Oscar A. Olson organized the Dousman State Bank.

 

 

Wisconsin Consistory deeds Van Brunt property to the Consistory Home Association

1907

 

Frederich C. Krueger founded the "Weekly Index".

1908

 

H.M. Bischel takes over tavern & hotel business.

 

 

First fish hatchery in the state, located several miles south of the Village. Eagle Line Products Co. developed the Marl beds.            ,   .

1916

 

Cy and E.F. Bischel partners in tavern and hotel business from their father, H.M. Bischel.

1917

 

Territory known as Dousman is incorporated as the Village of Dousman.

 

 

Nic Mundschau was first president of the Village of Dousman.

1918

 

Dousman residents baricade the streets and light bonfire in celebration of Armistice Day.

1919

 

Cy Bischel serves ice cream and banana splits at tavern & hotel during prohibition.

1920

 

Waukesha County Dairy Show held in Dousman.

 

 

Dousman population was 235 residents.

1923

 

Main Street in Dousman was paved.  '

1926

 

First Staughton fire engine purchased and kept in small firehouse south of Dousman House tavern,

1933

 

Bischel's Saloon back in tavern business as prohibition is repealed.

1934

 

Population of Dousman was 270.

1940

 

F.C. Krueger sells "Weekly Index" & print shop to George Ehrlich. Thus became the Ehrlich Printing Co.

1950

 

Dousman's population grows to 328.

1952

 

Ruth Howard purchases Ehrlich Printing Co.

 

 

Dousman Community Building burns to the ground.

1954

 

Community Club holds Auction to raise funds for new Community Building.

1955

 

First Dousman Derby Days celebration.

 

 

Cy Bischel sells tavern business to Tom Stapleton.

1958

 

Village adopts zoning ordinance for sewer and water service.

1960

 

S. Jane Abbott acquires printing company.

 

 

410 residents in Dousman.

1961

 

Union Emmanuel changed name to Emmanuel United Church of Christ.

1963

 

Northwestern Railroad installs coal burning stove in depot office.

1965

 

Railroad Depot closed. Ellis Altwise serves 4 months short of 25 years as last agent.

1974

 

Dousman State Bank moves across Main Street.

1985

 

Dousman Frogs, Land O' Lakes baseball team, defeats Oconomowoc Five O's to win grand championship.

1992

 

New firehouse constructed on land owned by Bob and Eloise Jeffery

 

® Copyright Dousman Historical Society, All Rights Reserved